Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Don't you hate it ....

When your walking down the street, and you see someone from your past, who you don't want to talk to. So you look down and walk by, hoping that they wont see you. BUT THEY RECOGNIZE YOU, they Recognize you, and they stop you and say, "Hey (Your Name Here), were you gonna walk by me without saying hello?" And you say, "No Mom." - JT

I do not believe in mothers day. There I said it. For that matter, I don't believe in fathers day either. I don't believe in any of the extra Retail holidays, just the important ones. If it isn't a Birthday or an Actual holiday some one celebrates, like Xmas or Solstice or Ramadan or Hanukkah, then its crap and presents should not be expected or required. I guess if you want, valentines day can be an exception, and of course your own personal anniversary's, but otherwise.....Crap. I just hate this 2 week to 1 1\2 month holiday advertising buffer. And the people of the land are brainwashed into thinking that they deserve a gift on these days, and get upset if they don't. I heard a radio commercial for a jewelry store and the guy was all......"Hey, I need to find my wife a really nice mothers day present, like this 3 karat diamond bracelet on sale for only blah blah blah. HELLO, did you marry your mom? Gross! If you insist on getting a mothers day present for your mom then fine, I do admit I get mine a card, no harm there but, I think husbands are actually expected to get their wives something for mothers day. Which is, oh I don't know, STUPID, lets just say. So if you get married you not only have to get your mom a present, but your wife too? And also, Moms expect their kids to get the Grandmother a present too!!! Some poor bastards out there are getting Pyramid Fucked because they have to support the quadrant of retail by getting their mom a present, getting their wife a present (Stupid), getting their grandmother a present (dumb) and buying their kids a present for the selfish wife who still expects something out of him. 4 presents, 4! What in the hell is wrong with the world today? Just to add a touch o hypocrisy to the whole thing, don't think for one second this goes on for Fathers day. At least not to that extent. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying lets hand out gasoline martinis and noose neck ties on these special fake days. But I am. Oh and for all you churchies out there, you are screwed even more, because of Special (in the Corky sense) mothers day services. In which you have to buy flowers and corsages and there is pageantry and poof and I just threw up.


Kisses. . .

7 Comments:

At 5/10/2006 2:43 PM, Blogger The Megan said...

hmmmm... soooo... you only *believe* in holidays in which *you* will get presents for, ie birthday, christmas, valentines, anniversary... interesting, and convenient to boot! =)

seriously though, i do agree though that so many holidays are completely invented by hallmark and all the other places that force feed us these thoughts that we NEED TO get these people extravagant gifts on these days.

Personally, I don't mind mother's and father's day gifts. I like to get them something on this day just to say, 'thank you for being my parent, even if some parts of the whole experience were far from perfect, i still managed to turn out pretty ok and i guess you had something to do with that', but some of these commercials are ridiculous.

case in point - my mom and i were actually just dicussing the Jared Diamonds commercial the other night, where the woman is walking around the room at a party oogling over the different diamond jewelry several women are wearing, and they all respond with 'he went to Jared'. Then the commercial ends w/ old chickadee huffing it up to her husband and smacking him upside the head.

*HELLO?!?!?*

Seriously?? Could this possibly put women in a worse light?!? Bitchy McBitcherson is pissed cause she's the only woman in the room who's husband didn't 'go to Jared', and all of a sudden Mr. McBitcherson has become the total A-hole for not buying his wift a 3 karat solitaire pendant for mother's day. What a complete and total son of a bitch he is... i think someone should just kick him right square in the nuts!!

*hoping anyone reading is sensing the sheer sarcasm of the last few sentences*

i can also understand a husband getting his wife a mother's day present when the kids are very young, because she is 'the mother of his children'. but these commercials implying that if you don't break the bank to get gifts for your loved ones, then you are nothing but heartless uncaring scum, it's ridiculous.

That reminds me of another commercial. I remember over Christmas seeing tons of commercials for Lexus where the gist of the commercial was that the car was being bought for a gift for someone.

WTF??? Hello, Lexus, but you are totally selling to the wrong audience because neither i nor anyone i know can afford a Lexus for themselves, let alone drop the change as a gift for a loved one... seriously... where will the madness end.

i know where the madness of my rant will end, however... and it is right here...


no... here....





ok... had to get the last word in. the rant ends here (see below)...


---------> end rant. <----------

 
At 5/10/2006 3:07 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Well I suppose that is valid, but NO not just holidays where I get things, just holidays that arent made up. Ok they are all made up but you dont buy your local vet a present on veterans day. You dont buy war heros a clue on memorial day. Sure on the First of May you go fuckin outside, but you dont buy a gold nail file for your secratary on Labor day either. Ok I dont know anything about labor day, but the point is, "holidays" like these are crap. You dont have to have a bad experience to not like mothers or fathers day. I never did, I just feel like these "Holidays" are crap. I know you have been abused into thinking they arent pointless or stupid. Maybe you're wrong, maybe you are right, all I know, is that with this crazy mixed up world the way it is, do we really need to worry about things because other people tell us we should. I think not.

 
At 5/10/2006 3:24 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Yeah, that was pretty much for you Kat...

 
At 5/10/2006 8:41 PM, Blogger The Megan said...

i hate it when i'm left out of a joke...


*i know this question is gonna come back to bite me in the ass, but here goes...*


first of may??

 
At 5/11/2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Tim said...

First of May = A song

 
At 5/11/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Besides you can only be left out if you arent included. And you can't be included in everything

 
At 5/11/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger Tim said...

THATS RIGHT, GIVE ME A MOTHERS DAY PRESENT, Cause I'm a bad MOTHERShutYourMouth...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home