Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Viva What?


Ok, so here is a tough blog, and it is more to get opinions than anything else but DAMN if there weren't a lot of damn kids in the streets these past 2 days. So here is the issue. There are ramblings in the government that state that it will be a felony to be an illegal immigrant. I myself think that is a bit extreme, we have enough felons as it is, why make more. So Thousands upon thousands of kids, poured into the streets the other day because of the issue. Kids walking through the middle of the streets (bad start in my opinion) chanting various things. My personal experience was that they were chanting VIVA MEXICO, and was backed up by all of the news stations showing the same. They all wanted to make a political statement and blah blah blah. I am all for protest, BUT:

1) These kids aren't even old enough to vote. (Can't vote, no political clout, duh)
2) They are all citizens probably, at least the majority if not like 95% are.(though I get their parents may not be)
3) Though the protests were legal and semi-tame, it looked like chaos to me.
4) Swimming in the city hall fountains has no political purpose
5) If you want rights and clout in AMERICA, perhaps the main slogan that is chanted so loud I could hear it on the 9th floor behind glass windows, shouldn't be VIVA MEXICO.
6) I bet 1 out of 1000 of those kids had even ever been to Mexico because it they had, they would'nt blindly chant Viva Mexico. I have nothing against Mexico but the people who jump the border aren't leaving the posh parts, they are leaving the ghettos.
7) Where were the adults, who this issue should be important to?
8) The whole issue of Illegal Immigrants is just that , they are Illegal, so find a way to make them Legal, duh.
9) Some people, Not me, will say, "Well we pay for them to have health care and schools and stuff." Well yes we do, but our economy will crash without them. Give them a special tax so they pay part of their own way. When will we all protest people on welfare, don't work, and others who live off of our dime as well?
10) They are our damn Laws, so help make these people Legal, in a simple way, set it up so they pay taxes, and help them learn English. Simple as that.



There is another side, the scary side. Who know what to make of this, but it just goes to show, when you boil it down people just hate people, and its kind of sad. Every Race, just like every religion has groups within it that think they are superior.

Anyway, I think these kiddy protests are crap, kids don't have political beliefs, they just run around and act like they care about an issue that they don't think about the day after(SHEEP). I know the value of these immigrants who do jobs no one wants to do. I am sorry that we live in a society where there is a class based economy and citizens who my become legal may still be treated as second class. But You come cry to me after my wedding day when I can walk the streets of my town holding hands with the one I love without fear of being jumped or killed.

So that's it, do you want to be American Citizens, or Mexican Citizens. Shouldn't all of us in this country be Americans? We don't have to deny where we come from, or where our roots stretch to, but enough with the labels and being BLANK-American. Just be.

Now I don't want any one to take this the wrong way, I appreciate people no matter where they come from, and people who know me, know that. This whole race thing . . .It's just tired.

Kisses . . .

4 Comments:

At 3/29/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger The Megan said...

Well, I completely agree w/ the part about finding a way to make illegal immigrants legal. Everyone knows that 99.9% of the jobs that are taken by these people are jobs that hardly any caucasian person would take at the pay that is offered. For the immigrants, minimum wage or slightly more is still a whole lot better that where they were before, in some Mexico ghetto. Plus it gives these people and their children opportunities to better themselves and get an education and so forth, things that they might not have had a chance to get otherwise. I think immigrants should be taxed just like any other citizen. I think that's a big reason why they are having to sneak over here, is because they can't do it legally. Think of all the tax opportunities that are being missed because these employers are having to pay these people under the table, rather than claim them and be taxed.

I don't agree w/ your comment about kiddy protests being crap. However, I do agree that children protesting doesn't make much difference since they can't vote and therefore politicians could give two shits about what they think. However, I do believe protests such as this are the first opportunities for kids to speak their minds on things, and form an oppinion about how they feel their nation is being run. Sure, I think a lot of them are probably mostly in it for the hype, but if even a small percentage of these kids who are 'standing up for what they believe in' at this age carry that passion into adulthood, maybe some things can get changed in the future. That is one of America's biggest problems - people are too indifferent. They don't take a stand for what they believe in, and then they bitch because they're unhappy about how things are going. And I'm not trying to point fingers, because I'm sure I'm not any better than the majority.

Lastly, the part about people having a feeling of superiority towards others... I completely agree w/ this. I don't think there is a person out there who can say they are 100% totally and completely lacking of any prejudice of some sort. Sure you might not be out in the street wearing white pointy hats and burning crosses, or spending your weekends commiting hate crimes against others, but I think every one in some way has some sense of feeling superior towards some group or another. I think the movie Crash was an excellent example of this. One one hand the people are screaming 'Don't hate me because I'm (insert stereotype here)', but in the exact same breath they are spouting out their hatred towards someone else. Makes you wonder if prejudice is an innate behavior, or something we learn from seeing in the world all around us?

Lastly, i think people want to classify themselves seperately because they feel they are owed something. You don't see me going around yelling, 'hey, don't call me white. I'm German-Norwegian-British-American!!! A strong example of this is with black people wanting to be referred to as 'African American'. Excuse me?? We you are any of your living relatives born in, or ever even lived in, Africa? If so, fine - you can call yourself African American. Otherwise, get over it. These people want equality, and yet they want to seperate them selves from the rest of the group. Well sorry, but you can't have it both ways. But I digress. I could open up a whole new bag of worms w/ that, but I won't.
Good post Timmy. Sorry for being so long winded, but it's nice to have a topic that I have some strong opinions towards to discuss every now and then. Good on you, my friend!!

 
At 3/29/2006 5:01 PM, Blogger Tim said...

OOOOHHHHH, Thank you Megan, I am bloated with acceptance, please, more people put in your 2 cents.

 
At 3/30/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Tim said...

That was my thing really, if you want to make a statement, don't act like idiots while you are doing it.

 
At 3/30/2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Yes She did! I think I just peed my pantaloons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home