Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Season of Goodbye . . . Again. . .

Well the TV season is over; shows are having finales, or going away for good. A lot of time is spent by people watching TV. We invite these stories into our lives, and are moved to laugh, or gasp or cry. Like books before it, TV can at times be a way to let wonderful stories into our lives, and like an extended family, we visit almost every week, and catch up and learn new things, and live vicariously and are touched by how those stories relate to us. Most shows are just a way to kill time, they are entertainment. But, sometimes one or two will come along that we connect with on a deeper level, because the stories are ones we can relate to, or maybe we see a little of ourselves in the characters portrayed on the screen. These feelings are real, and just like real family or friends that pass in and out of our lives, the memories live on inside of us, and if we are lucky, we learned something about life and ourselves along the way. Is it silly to have such an emotional investment in a TV program? I don't think so. Perhaps it is the people who don’t find this attachment who are the ones who are missing out. In my mind, being able to explore feelings through characters and stories shows emotional growth and expression. To be open to these experiences stimulates the mind, and excites the soul, but to be too good for that kind of thing, or closed off to how a character or story can effect you, makes you as two dimensional as the characters on the screen. Either way you look at it, we must remember that there are no goodbyes,
just good memories. . .


1 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 8:00 PM, Blogger The Megan said...

you sexy little beast... you have just come up with THE PERFECT POST! I am going to poke your belly lovingly the very next time I see you. Why, just today I was discussing w/ co-workers how involved I've gotten in a few shows this season. Namely, The Office (USA version) and Grey's Anatomy. Now that I have that whore of a wonderful invention the Tivo, I can record my shows and watch them at a later date. So I've seen every one of both of these shows all season. Anyway, I was discussing this season's episodes and the season finales in particular, and how I cried during the whole second half of GA, and how it almost felt like these characters were a part of my life. Part of me thought this was a little weird like, hello!, call T & J if you are so desperate for people in your life, these are just characters on a screen, but (especially w/ these two shows) when you have such awesome writer's and great actors playing the characters, it's really easy to fall in love w/ these characters that you are watching every week.
Anyway, I have plenty more to discuss on this, oh yes i do, but they are kicking us out of the building. And, by 'kicking us out of the building', of course i mean 'my computer which i am currently on in my own home is about to shut down'. =)
i shall be discussing this in length tomorrow.

2 snaps for great blog posts!!!

snap

snap!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home